Kids Map is an app for IOs and for Android. In Itunes it is $2.99. On Android it is $1.99 and was selected one of the top 4 featured apps for tablets.
It’s goal is to make make geography fun with educational puzzle games. My little one (and all my kids) like puzzles and I am certified (of all things) in map making with some software called GIS so this is an app I had to check out. There are lots of free apps out there, so it always makes it tough for me to recommend a paid app. I usually look for apps that are free and do not bombard me with adverting. If though you are looking for an app that is educational, fun and you are willing to pay a little for it, I can recommend this app.
Some reviews from the iTunes store included (The reviews for Android were also great):
My five year old loves this game. Its great for younger kids because it doesnI’t require reading. I hope you do the countries next!
My class loves it!
I used this game in my preschool class today for the first time. The kids really enjoyed it and insisted on playing several times. Easy for children to use on their own with clear directions.
This app is fun, and is helping my daughter learn the US map. I would like to see more map puzzles!
The description from Kids Maps Making geography Fun website:
The Kids Maps App for iPad and Android Honeycomb tablets is intended to help kids as young as 2 years of age learn geography through a fun, interactive, puzzle game which uses colorful artwork, voice, sound and animation to teach.
This first edition includes:
- Complete map of the United States
- Fun factoids about each state
- The ability to help kids develop motor skills and hand/eye coordination
- The ability to help kids develop shape & color recognition skills
- Drag & drop functionality
- Colorful state graphics, which utilize vivid primary colors & state abbreviations
- A guided tutorial to help children learn the interface
- Settings for alphabetical order (teaches children the letter a state starts with)
- Settings for random order (includes fun sounding animations)
- The ability to “skip” and grab a new puzzle piece (in random mode only)
- “Hints” system which helps point children in the right direction
- Encouraging messages to build confidence.
- Voice on/off settings
- Tips on/off settings
- Fun “reset” feature which breaks the map into pieces again